Bvd / enc / fsi / sec / dat

(Sorry my posting isn’t in Dutch - this forum is the closest thing to a resource on Bureau van Dijk’s file formats. I’ll use simple English).

I have a database software product from Bureau van Dijk that contains *.bvd and *.enc files - this product was released in late 2011 so I hope it’s similar to the Dutch Foonbook product.

The BvD files have a header that shows it contains “dat”, “sec”, and “fsi” files within - however these sub-files appear to be encrypted.

The software product uses a password gained by filling in a form online.

I’m using IDA to help me disassemble the software. I’ve found the code that handles part of the licensing information - I think this is used to decrypt an encryption key within the software somewhere, but I haven’t found it yet.

I would really like it if someone can give me instructions and advice on getting to the raw, unencrypted, uncompressed data contained within.

Thank you.

Hi. The protection you are looking into is probably not similar to the one inside the Dutch Foonbook product. This product has gone from publisher to publisher but is now parked on a CD - not produced by Bureau van Dijk (BVD) - wich file-format was found readable after some effort.

That’s what this website was all about initially, after yet another attempt at defeating a third publisher’s defences. All this because BVD, the earlier CD-producers of this directory, bungled the job back then in 2000 enabling everyone to use a readable encryption key found in their software to export the data on their CD’s.

The BVD-CD-protection must have improved since, it seems you have to resort to a lowly dumb scraping of data from the interface of the searchsoftware to get at their data now, f.i. the Yellow Pages for Belgium. Untill someone like you has another try at the encryption itself. You may want to keep us posted.